A heart-healthy diet is essential for supporting cardiovascular health and lowering the risk of heart disease as suggested by Dr. Naveen Bhamri who is the best cardiologist in Moti Nagar, Delhi.
Here are some general heart-healthy diet guidelines:
- Consume a variety of fruits and vegetables: Try to incorporate a variety of colourful fruits and veggies into your regular meals. They are high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fibre, all of which can lower blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease.
- Select entire grains such as whole wheat, oats, brown rice, quinoa, and whole grain bread and pasta. They are higher in fibre and minerals than processed grains, which can help decrease cholesterol and enhance heart health.
- Include lean proteins: Choose skinless poultry, fish (such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel), legumes, nuts, and seeds as lean protein sources. Limit your consumption of red meat, and if you must eat it, choose lean cuts with visible fat removed.
- Limit saturated and trans fats: Limit your intake of saturated and trans fats, which can elevate cholesterol levels and increase your risk of heart disease. Fried foods, processed snacks, high-fat dairy items, and fatty cuts of meat should be avoided. Choose monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats found in olive oil, avocados, nuts, and seeds instead.
- Keep an eye on your salt intake: Too much sodium is linked to high blood pressure. Limit your intake of processed and packaged foods, which are generally rich in salt. Instead, for flavour, season your food with herbs, spices, lemon juice, or vinegar.
- Control portion sizes: To maintain a healthy weight, be conscious of your portion amounts. Obesity, high blood pressure, and other risk factors for heart disease can result from overeating.
- Limit added sugars: Too much sugar can cause weight gain and increase the risk of heart disease. Reduce your consumption of sugary beverages, sweets, and processed food. When necessary, use natural sweeteners such as fruits or modest amounts of honey or maple syrup.
Remember, it’s always a good idea to seek personalised dietary advice from a healthcare practitioner or a qualified dietitian depending on your unique needs and health condition.
Dr. Naveen Bhamri is the Best Cardiologist in Moti Nagar, Delhi. With more than 15 years of experience, he is the most trusted cardiologist.